2010年7月15日星期四

Review of the Xonix 256MB MP3 Watch

The headphone jackbuilt in to the watch is 2.5mm and your favorite headphones are probably 3.5mm.Do the MP3 player and the quartz watch share the same rechargeable battery?No, they use separate batteries which means you can completely deplete the MP3player's battery without affecting the watch. I assume the watch uses a standardwatch battery which any competent jeweler can replace, though the manual doesnot specify the model.How accurate is the watch?This is not a racing, diving, or professional flight watch, so don't expect greatthings from the quartz movement. I didn't conduct a painstaking test since accuracyis not really a selling point of the Xonix MP3 watch, but I found that seemsto gain about a second a day. Xonix claims the battery life is 5 hours on this thing. What'sthe real batterylife?My tests showed the battery life to be almost exactly 5 hours. Actually, slightlymore. Perfect for a coast to coast flight. I would expect this to decreasegradually over time, but even so, I think it is well within the range of acceptable.How does the watch recharge, and how long does it take?It recharges while connected to your computer via USB. You can also buy a wallcharger if you plan to be away from your computer for an extended period of time.Recharge time is about 2 hours. How is the quality of the voice recordings?Somewhat low, but definitely sufficient.The tradeoff is that the 256MB version of the Xonix MP3 watch can record up to18 hours of voice notes.Worked perfectly.What music file formats does the Xonix support?MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and WAV files.Can I store files other than MP3s (and other supported music file formats)on this watch?Yes, as long as there's space. When looking for files to play, it will simplyskip over file formats that it does not recognize as playable. That means theXonix MP3 watch is also a handy USB storage device. How much music can I fit on the Xonix MP3 watch?I was able to fit four albums totaling 45 tracks. The chart below will give youa general idea based on capacity (assuming a 128 kbps bit rate):Size (MB) Time (min) 32306460128120256240How many voice recordings can I fit on the watch?Short answer: a ton. Long answer: see the chart below:Size (MB) Time (hours) 322644.5128925618Is this watch waterproof?No. This is in no way to be confused with a sports watch. In fact,I wouldn't even want to get caught in a heavy rain wearing it. Can I use my favorite headphones with this watch?Yes, but you will probably need an adapter (not included).